1. Must live within 100 miles (unless special exceptions are deemed necessary by Lucky Birds administration.)
2. Absolutely no Teflon or smoking in the house.
3. Must complete 20 hours of volunteer service at the rescue. (This allows us to see how possible candidates react to you and vice versa; as well as making you fully knowledgeable of the amount of work it takes to have a bird.) Exceptions may be made by administration.
4. Must sign a two-year agreement that indicates,(but is not limited to), agreement to submit to periodic scheduled home visit; NO breeding; agree the bird can never be sold or rehomed except back to Lucky Birds Unlimited for the life of the bird without written consent from Lucky Birds administration. Basically, you will be fostering the bird on a probationary period for two years before we will sign full ownership to you (but the bird is not to be rehomed resold or used for any monetary gain for the life of the bird. In the event you can no longer care for your bird it must be returned to the rescue.)
5. Must provide Lucky birds with proof of avian vet checkup every six months.
6. Must buy an adequate sized cage, toys, and accommodations during the adoption process before the bird will be released to you.(Special circumstances may commonly apply such as: we may require you to buy the cage that they currently use to minimize stress and anxiety during the transition; You may also opt to make toys at home as they don't last very long and generally healthier toys can be made.)
7. You must visit the rescue a few times and get to know the administrators so that we may develop our own "character reference" of you and your family. We are not judgmental, we just need to know that you're respectable, honest and have good morales and values.
8. You must maintain quarterly contact with Lucky Birds providing updates, health info, and social progress. We expect YOU to call US, without us having to call you or track you down. Failure to show initiative to meet this simple request will indicate to us you are possibly not reliable or dependable enough to care for a bird the way we expect them to be cared for.
9. Lucky Birds Unlimited may reclaim the bird without refund of adoption fees if it deems that satisfactory conditions and care are not being met. We will not take your bird from you if you take care of it according to our standards and suggestions. We will work with you to help you achieve this level of care but we can only do so much for people who are not willing to comply. TO ALL: PLEASE TAKE CARE OF YOUR BIRD AS IF IT WERE YOUR CHILD.